What should I do if I have dense breasts?

Video Answers (1)
Expert Answers

StaceyVitielloMD (Physician - Radiology (Verified) ) - 05 / 28 / 2012

If you have “heterogeneously dense” or “extremely dense” breasts, your doctor should send you for an additional screening test each year in addition to a mammogram. If you are at high risk for breast cancer, that test should be an MRI. If you are of average risk, you should be having an ultrasound and a mammogram every year. Breast-specific gamma imaging (BSGI) is another reliable option as a second-level screening test. Don’t rely on a mammogram alone, which will only find half of cancers for you! Your life is too important.
Join Now to ask a follow-up question or share your experience!
We'll help guide and support you through treatments.
Similar Questions
After having a mastectomy, symptoms of lymphedema are appearing. What should I do?
I have been taking tamoxifen for 2 years. I have gained weight as well as have joint and back pain. Are these side effects of tamoxifen? What can I do?
What is the recovery like for a double mastectomy and reconstruction? What changes can I expect in my breasts after procedures are completely healed?
Do I have to have an immediate breast reconstruction if I have a skin sparing mastectomy?
Should my thyroid be shielded when I have a mammogram?
Note: All content on this site is informational and not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with questions regarding your health.
Note: Usernames have been made anonymous and profile images are not shown to protect the privacy of our members.
Flag Content
Please explain why you are flagging this content. Thank you.
Thank you for flagging this content. We will look into it right away.
Give a 'Thank you' to
Talk About Health
Add Answer

1) Question:
2) Background Info (optional): What context or background information is relevant to this request?
The more clear and thorough your request, the more likely you will receive support.
Many of our members are learning from this information or english might not be their first language. Please use standard english and spell out all words. For example, use 'you' instead of 'u'.
Talk About Health
Please join TalkAboutHealth and you will be able to ask questions.
Subscribe to our free updates for the latest news, best answers and featured experts!
Your Email:
Q&A Workshop Announcements
(Featured experts, answers, tips, & latest news.)
Q&A Workshop Summaries
(Answer summaries from our expert Q&A workshops.)
Best of TalkAboutHealth (weekly)
(The week's best answers, news & support.)
TalkAboutHealth Benefits
(Custom health, wellness & medical promotions from our partners.)

Partners become a partner

© Copyright 2018 - Talk About Health - Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
x Don't show again
Like us on Facebook?