What is the role of the radiologist in treating prostate cancer?

Topic Tags:  
Topic Tags:  
Expert Answers

KatarzynaJMacuraMDPhD (Physician - Radiology (Verified) ) - 11 / 13 / 2014

A radiologist is a physician specializing in interpretation of diagnostic medical imaging performed with various imaging technologies, such as x-ray, computed tomography, ultrasonography, magnetic resonance imaging, and others (see more at radiologyinfo.org


“A radiologist correlates medical image findings with other examinations and tests, recommends further examinations or treatments, and confers with referring physicians (the doctors who send patients to the radiology department or clinic for testing). Radiologists also treat diseases by means of radiation (radiation oncologyor nuclear medicine) or minimally invasive, image-guided interventions (interventional radiology).”

Diagnostic radiologists detect and stage prostate cancer using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

Nuclear medicine radiologists use bone scan (bone scintigraphy) and PET imaging to detect metastatic disease.

Radiation oncologists use two main types of radiation therapy for prostate cancer treatment: external beam radiation and brachytherapy (internal radiation).

Interventional radiologists may use focal therapies such as cryoablation or laser ablation, or high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) to treat localized prostate cancer.

Join Now to ask a follow-up question or share your experience!
We'll help guide and support you through treatments.
Similar Questions
What is the significance of the drug Abiraterone (Zytiga) in treating prostate cancer?
What is the latest news about intermittent hormonal therapy versus continuous therapy for treating prostate cancer?
How do you decide what chemotherapy medications to use when treating advanced prostate cancer?
When treating bone metastatis for prostate cancer, how is it determined if treatments are improving?
How big of a risk is osteoporosis and bone health when treating prostate cancer with hormone therapy?
Note: All content on this site is informational and not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with questions regarding your health.
Note: Usernames have been made anonymous and profile images are not shown to protect the privacy of our members.
Flag Content
Please explain why you are flagging this content. Thank you.
Thank you for flagging this content. We will look into it right away.
Give a 'Thank you' to
Talk About Health
Add Answer

1) Question:
2) Background Info (optional): What context or background information is relevant to this request?
The more clear and thorough your request, the more likely you will receive support.
Many of our members are learning from this information or english might not be their first language. Please use standard english and spell out all words. For example, use 'you' instead of 'u'.
Talk About Health
Please join TalkAboutHealth and you will be able to ask questions.
Subscribe to our free updates for the latest news, best answers and featured experts!
Your Email:
Q&A Workshop Announcements
(Featured experts, answers, tips, & latest news.)
Q&A Workshop Summaries
(Answer summaries from our expert Q&A workshops.)
Best of TalkAboutHealth (weekly)
(The week's best answers, news & support.)
TalkAboutHealth Benefits
(Custom health, wellness & medical promotions from our partners.)

Partners become a partner

© Copyright 2018 - Talk About Health - Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
x Don't show again
Like us on Facebook?