Our mission is to make patient learning easier, more effective, and more individualized.
TalkAboutHealth is a free online learning tool and community for people dealing with a serious disease that reduces confusion, speeds up learning, and increases confidence. TalkAboutHealth quickly provides the answers patients need to make the best possible decisions, live a healthier lifestyle, and stay on track with treatments.
When a person is dealing with a serious illness, there is a huge amount of information to learn in a limited time with limited access to experts. With thousands of answers and hundreds of videos, TalkAboutHealth provides access to the knowledge and expertise of the world's leading medical experts and guides patients through an individualized learning experience, one step at a time, in their own time, taking into account where they are in the process. Our interactive and personalized learning programs intuitively encourage higher level doctor patient interactions, reduce stress, and help prepare for what's next.
We are a welcoming and caring community that has come together to meet, share, and learn with each other. We welcome patients, families, caregivers, survivors, professionals, and organizations.
What makes us different:
1) Relevant, helpful, and accurate health answers and information. Every question on TalkAboutHealth should be the best resource possible, covering all points of view and perspectives. To accomplish this goal, we find and notify the right experts and trained survivors to answer questions. Answers come directly from experts performing the research and caring for patients every day in surgery, oncology, psychiatry, screening, prevention, and more. We then curate and organize the content and answers to make them easy to find and accessible to everyone.
2) The right information to the right people, at the right time. We organize and curate all of our content so answers are easy to find, and we guide patients to relevant information based on their disease, stage, treatments, side effects, and more. We notify users of answers to their questions and other relevant information via e-mail, Facebook, and Twitter.
A world where all patients, caregivers, and medical professionals have access to the health support they need, when they need it.
To improve people’s lives by connecting them with the right information they need for support in managing their health.
Our sharing philosophy
At TalkAboutHealth we believe in sharing our experiences and knowledge.
Our purpose is to create a community to help each other and expand our collective knowledge.
That's why all content is collected, organized, and made available for the benefit and convenience of everyone.
What TalkAboutHealth can do for you
- Feel confident making decisions after getting answers from leading experts.
- Take control of your care after learning from survivors and experienced peers.
- Know that you are not alone after connecting with others like you.
- Have hope after hearing survivors' experiences.
- Take comfort in sharing with someone else.
- Feel fulfilled after helping others.
Anonymous and secure
You will only be identified by your username.
You determine how much information to share in your profile and whether your profile is private, public, or viewable by the community.
TalkAboutHealth protects your personal information and will not share personally identifiable information such as your name and email address without your explicit permission.
TalkAboutHealth is a designated safe space. We diligently review and moderate content to enforce Community Guidelines.
Members are encouraged to 'flag' content they feel is not acceptable. TalkAboutHealth removes content and bans users that do not follow the Community Guidelines or that cause negative feelings for others.
Team and advisors
TalkAboutHealth is led by a team and advisors concerned about your health.
We have qualified physicians, pharmacists, and therapists on our medical advisory board.
I was inspired to start TalkAboutHealth while my father was going through treatment for melanoma. It was a difficult and emotional period where we had many decisions to make in a limited amount of time. We felt alone and confused. There was too much information available and we did not know what was relevant or significant.
There are 12 million survivors in the United States and 1.6 million new cases in 2012. All of these patients need support and education. That is why TalkAboutHealth is here. Our goal is to improve outcomes by helping patients find the right information, communicate better with their doctors expressing their needs and desires, and feel confident in their decisions.
1) Spread the word! Tell people you think might want some support. Tell medical professionals, health providers, and organizations.
2) Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter! 3) Volunteer - email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.