If there is blood in my urine, what should I do next? Does this mean I have bladder cancer?

Topic Tags:  
Topic Tags:  
Answer Summary
Expert Answers

ErikCastleMD (Physician - Urology (Verified) ) - 09 / 11 / 2012

Blood in the urine (hematuria) can signify many conditions besides bladder cancer. Blood in the urine is generally classified into two categories: microscopic (seen only by microscope) and gross (seen with your eyes). In most cases of hematuria routine things such as urinary infection and other obvious sources should be ruled out. Once that is done, referral to a urologist for a “hematuria workup” should be next. This would include x-ray studies (CT scan) to evaluate the kidneys and ureters as well as a urine test for cancer cells and a cystoscopy (looking in the urethra and bladder). These tests will allow the doctor to evaluate you for a variety of conditions including: kidney cancer, bladder cancer, kidney stones, urinary obstruction and other conditions. Rest assured that in most cases, blood in the urine is not a cancer.
Shared Experiences

member4750 (Friend) - 02 / 23 / 2015

In most cases, urine consisting blood shows the first sign of bladder cancer, but it is not with every case as it might occur due to infection, benign tumors or stones too. Hence it is vital to have it checked by a doctor. Usually having blood in the urine is called as hematuria which is typically of two types, first when patient have the problem but can’t notice it with naked eyes that’s called microscopic hematuria. While in other it will easily visualize red color present in urine, called gross hematuria. Diagnostics of hematuria varies according to cause of the condition, for example, if it is caused by a urinary tract infection then doctor generally prescribe antibiotics and in other you have to undergo regular treatment.
Join Now to ask a follow-up question or share your experience!
We'll help guide and support you through treatments.
Note: All content on this site is informational and not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with questions regarding your health.
Note: Usernames have been made anonymous and profile images are not shown to protect the privacy of our members.
Flag Content
Please explain why you are flagging this content. Thank you.
Thank you for flagging this content. We will look into it right away.
Give a 'Thank you' to
Talk About Health
Add Answer

1) Question:
2) Background Info (optional): What context or background information is relevant to this request?
The more clear and thorough your request, the more likely you will receive support.
Many of our members are learning from this information or english might not be their first language. Please use standard english and spell out all words. For example, use 'you' instead of 'u'.
Talk About Health
Please join TalkAboutHealth and you will be able to ask questions.
Subscribe to our free updates for the latest news, best answers and featured experts!
Your Email:
Q&A Workshop Announcements
(Featured experts, answers, tips, & latest news.)
Q&A Workshop Summaries
(Answer summaries from our expert Q&A workshops.)
Best of TalkAboutHealth (weekly)
(The week's best answers, news & support.)
TalkAboutHealth Benefits
(Custom health, wellness & medical promotions from our partners.)

Partners become a partner

© Copyright 2018 - Talk About Health - Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
x Don't show again
Like us on Facebook?