How do I find a competent, health care physician specializing in Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) in my area?

Answer Summary
Shared Experiences

annieappleseed (Survivor (10 - 20 years)) - 10 / 17 / 2011

That's not as difficult as you may think. All the licensing groups have lists on their website by geographic locations. We actually guide you to it from our LINKS section. If you go to and click on LINKS (right side button), then scroll to Professional Referral Network, you'll see a page with all types of practitioners' organizations.

Seeking acupuncture, homeopathy, naturopathy, yoga, etc. All there.

Of course it also depends where you live - remote or rural, less likely o find someone.

MartineEhrenclou (Friend) - 10 / 19 / 2011

In my new book, one physician I interviewed recommended asking one physician whom you trust and feel confident in for a referral . He said that good doctors know other doctors like themselves.
Call a doctor's office who you trust and like and ask the doctor's nurse there who she/he sees.
Ask friends and colleagues who they see and like.
Call or go to your closest hospital ER. Ask the primary nurses there (RNs) and ask who they think are good doctors. They see who actually visits patients in the hospital, who responds to pages, and who care about their patients.
You can go to the AMA website and seek out doctors you are interested in. It is better if a doctor is board certified in his or her specialty.
Good luck!

Join Now to ask a follow-up question or share your experience!
We'll help guide and support you through treatments.
Similar Questions
Would you share tips for how to start a support group? There are not many in my area and I feel there is a need.
How can I find out if my breasts are dense?
As a cancer patient, do you have some tips to reduce my health care costs?
If my primary care physician suspects colon cancer, what are the next steps?
How can a cancer patient prepare for their first visit to see an integrative medicine physician?
Note: All content on this site is informational and not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with questions regarding your health.
Note: Usernames have been made anonymous and profile images are not shown to protect the privacy of our members.
Flag Content
Please explain why you are flagging this content. Thank you.
Thank you for flagging this content. We will look into it right away.
Give a 'Thank you' to
Talk About Health
Add Answer

1) Question:
2) Background Info (optional): What context or background information is relevant to this request?
The more clear and thorough your request, the more likely you will receive support.
Many of our members are learning from this information or english might not be their first language. Please use standard english and spell out all words. For example, use 'you' instead of 'u'.
Talk About Health
Please join TalkAboutHealth and you will be able to ask questions.
Subscribe to our free updates for the latest news, best answers and featured experts!
Your Email:
Q&A Workshop Announcements
(Featured experts, answers, tips, & latest news.)
Q&A Workshop Summaries
(Answer summaries from our expert Q&A workshops.)
Best of TalkAboutHealth (weekly)
(The week's best answers, news & support.)
TalkAboutHealth Benefits
(Custom health, wellness & medical promotions from our partners.)

Partners become a partner

© Copyright 2017 - Talk About Health - Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
x Don't show again
Like us on Facebook?